CALL IT A DISCOVERY
I am not the kind of person that could win a wet T-shirt contest and I am kind of not bothered about it because life has more to it than a show off of the front lumps. Okay, let us pretend I did not say that and maybe discuss something weightier like cognitive abilities. By the way, I just cannot derive my mind from thinking of school whenever I mention that word cognitive. Well, glory be to God. I finally reached my final year in campus and I feel like my frantic efforts over the years have ultimately paid off. It is not easy growing into motherhood through campus and I must definitely applaud myself for emerging victorious up to this point. I also cannot go without registering the fact that I have conquered the menace of dropping out of school. Oh my goodness, I just called it a menace! I believe I could describe myself as formidable for winning against it though, menace or no menace.
I guess am qualified now to blow my own trumpet although I still have those jitters that keep on reminding me that I still do not have it all figured out. Alright, we all know that not all of us students can exhibit extraordinary qualities similar to that of the likes of Steve Biko and this fact is what bothers me. A lot! Let’s face it here, it is not like am trying to force it down your throat but I believe everyone has a point in life when they feel like their self-esteem is being challenged or even threatened, and mine seems to be occurring within the four corners of the lecture rooms. It cannot go without mention that it is during your interaction with others that you truly do notice the gaps you have not filled up in you yet.
Being a mum in campus is not just a challenging affair to deal with but it also comes with full conviction that here is where you need to brace yourself and be ahead of yourself and everyone else when it comes to matters responsibility. As much as I want to admit that am a woman of steel, am sort of not quite certain with my emotional upheavals. I thought I knew it all until I met this one year younger than me, Justin, my very brilliant course mate. This guy just has a nice way of making the people around him feel intimidated. It is not enough that he got all the fresh cakes and cream clinging on to him like some kind of a Greek god and he seems to savour every bit of it. He also knows everything, literally everything. Well, perhaps my hyperbole is at the extreme but then this guy’s knowledge is just at a different upper level and at times he even got me questioning my own wits.
Justin is the kind of guy who could take you on a journey of how ignorant you have been all your life by only responding to one question during a lecture. Ask him about politics, he’ll name all the members the House of Commons in the UK, ask him a question on Kenyan history, he’ll extend and relate it to the Great Wall of China, question him on entertainment, he will act Elvis Presley, not to mention that he also knows everything sporty. That’s how good and knowledgeable he is but let us just conclude that he is a gifted kid and his is an admirable kind of gift.
I got course mates I give an eye of envy. Some of them are just too smart and they keep on reminding me that I need to up my game. I am glad too because they always give me a heads up every time I am trying to head to the wrong direction. I have managed to improve my cognitive abilities over the years that I have been with them and I sure love the fact that I have shared moments and studied with them in the same lecture rooms. I guess this final year just got me to the realization that I have been feeding on heaps of knowledge ever since I joined campus so I might not have only been having a bun in the oven but also have been making myself pregnant with knowledge, ha-ha.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you have reached your final year in campus (first degree). We wish you all the best, for the rest of the journey. You have also become more knowledgeable, Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to be coming to the end of your time in college especially if you don't like that classroom confinement. Now you'll have the space to spread your wings as wide as you can and to excel in what you love doing. I wish you well in your new challenge. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts